We are excited to be one of just 60 libraries nationwide to have been selected to be a NASA@ My Library partner. This is an education initiative created to increase and enhance STEAM (science, technology, engineering, arts and math) learning opportunities for library patrons. As a NASA@ My Library Partner, we will hold programs that explore NASA science and technology. On Saturday, June 25 we will be making rockets and doing other NASA activities at our Summer Reading Kickoff at Jillson Square!
- Mondays at 10:00 am: Join us for stories, songs, and a craft!
- Tuesdays at 6:00 pm: Wrap up your day with stories and songs with Ms. Frances!
- Thursdays at 12:30 pm: Bouncing Babies - Join us for a storytime and play group perfect for babies 0-18 months. You will recieve free books and an early literacy kit.
- Saturdays at 10:30 am: Start your weekend off right! Join us every Saturday for stories, songs, and a craft.
- Join us for a special Storytime Spectacular! on Friday, May 27 at 4:00 pm!
- Take, Read & Make: Pick up a free book and craft kit at the library during the week, then join us Saturdays at noon on Google Meet to read the story and show and tell about your craft. Link to join
- Makerspace Mondays: Mondays at 4:00 pm through June 6 for ages 5+. Do a guided project using our Makerspace supplies and tools. Each week's project will be listed below in the Special Programs section.
- Textile Craft Circle: Wednesdays at 4:00 pm in the Adult Department. Bring your knitting, crochet, needlepoint, or any other textile craft to work on while you chat and get to know fellow crafters. All ages welcome.
- Crafternoon: Thursdays at 3:30 pm through May 26 for ages 6+. Come craft with us every Thursday afternoon.
- Homework Help: Thursdays from 4:00 - 5:30 pm through May 26. All students in any grade are welcome! Drop in, we would be happy to help you find the resources you need for your homework or other school projects.
- Homeschool Fridays: Fridays at 10:30 am for school-aged children (please note the new time!). Join us for a new learning series, covering all the bases - from science to reading to writing. We'll do it all, week to week!
- May 6: Science - we will repeat the previous evening's Family Science Night activities about magnets
- May 13: Writing - do a creative writing prompt based on a picture book and share your work if you'd like
- May 20: Electronics - explore littleBits circuit kits and create a machine we can play a game with
- May 27: Reading - pick up a copy of One Crazy Summer at the library to read ahead of time and then come discuss it together
- Saturday Craft: Saturdays at 12:30 pm. Join us for a drop-in craft.
- Chess Club: Friday, May 20 at 4:00 pm. Calling all chess players! Meet at the library to challenge each other to games. Instructor will be available to help.
- Cardboard Box Looms - Part 2: Monday, May 23 at 4:00 pm for ages 5+. Learn how to weave on a cardboard loom and start a fun project you can bring home to finish.
- Storytime Spectacular!: Friday, May 27 at 4:00 pm. Lets celebrate Storytime and read English and Spanish books, sing songs, then make a craft together! We will also have a first look and feel at our new sensory table!
- Family Science Night: Thursday, June 2 at 6:00 pm. Families with school-aged children are invited to come do a science activity and learn together. This month we'll learn about electricity and make a battery out of fruit! Please register.
- Make a Gift for Your Teacher: Monday, June 6 at 4:00 pm for ages 5+. Use our Makerspace art, jewelry, and sewing supplies to make a unique gift to give to your teacher before the school year ends.
- Midday Wonder: Wednesday, June 15 at 1:00 pm for ages 5-10. Explore art, history, math, nature, people, science, technology and more at your library! Join us to explore a new topic in a world of wonder each month. Please register.
- Tugboat Storytime: Tuesday, June 21 at 4:00 pm. Let's read some stories about things that GO on the ocean!
- Build a Boat Challenge: Wednesday, June 22 at 1:00 pm for ages 5+. Join us for a STEM challenge and see if you can build a boat from recycled materials.
- Create a Constellation: Thursday, June 23 at 2:00 pm. Create your own constellation using pipe cleaners, beads and more!
- Pajama Storytime: Thursday, June 23 at 6:30 pm for ages 3+. Come to the library in your pajamas and bring your favorite stuffed animal! We'll read ocean-themed bedtime stories and do a craft together.
- Summer Reading Kickoff: Saturday, June 25 from 10:00 am - 1:00 pm at Jillson Square. Start off the summer with a splash! Mystic Aquarium is bringing their traveling touch tank to kick off our "Oceans of Possibilities" summer reading program. NASA@ My Library is also coming to Jillson Square, with making and launching rockets, learning about and investigating oceans on other worlds, and an ocean awareness craft.
- Mermaid Storytime: Monday, June 27 at 10:30 am for ages 0-5. Join us for a special storytime featuring mermaid stories and a craft!
- Not Quite Narwhal Storytime: Tuesday, June 28 at 4:00 pm. Let's read some stories including and inspired by Not Quite Narwhal!
- Mermaid and Pirate Clothespin Craft: Wednesday, June 29 at 1:00 pm for ages 6+. Come make a mermaid or pirate out of a clothespin.
- Spectacular Sea Creatures: Thursday, June 30 at 2:00 pm for ages 5+. Make giant, spectacular sea creatures with art supplies and cardboard. You can hang them up in the library for everyone to see this summer!
We have 18 puppet, musical instrument, and sensory toy backpacks available for checkout, along with our Sprout educational backpacks. Several of the backpacks are bilingual English/Spanish. Try one today! List of backpacks
Online Resources for Kids
Find a list of even more resources for children on our All Online Resources page.
New Books for Kids