print this page
brick Willimantic CT main street

Library History

The Willimantic Library Association began in 1853 from the efforts of a local “ladies aid society”, the Bee Hive Circle, who made and sold handcrafted items, raising the funds to purchase books and other reading materials for circulation to the community with the objective “to provide opportunity and encouragement for children, young people and adults to educate themselves continually.” A fire in 1869 destroyed the original library. In 1871 the Burough of Willimantic paid the Association $125.00 and changed the name to the Willimantic Public Library, whose service and name continues to this day, 140 years later. After many years of inadequate housing, the present library at 905 Main St. was completed and occupied in 1967.

Websites for Libraries